Monday, August 8, 2011

Home is where the heart is..

...Minneapolis, Mn, that is. I moved away from this amazing city almost 2 years ago, and when my husband and I return, it is like we never left. I miss the crazy lady on the 12C bus, who carried her dog, and talked to it as if it were her long lost friend, and the guy with the crazy afro downtown and, and..character, I miss character and reality. Sioux Falls is a bubble, and a lovely bubble, it just makes you forget about reality and sometimes reality is that pull that forces you to discover who you are..

ANYWAYS, about Minneapolis. They also have amazing thrift stores, like Value Village (and the heaven's part). I find the most incredible things at this thrift store, original Keane paintings and clothing from the 1930's in PERFECT condition. I go craaazy when I am in this place, along with every other person. It is usually push to shove, and I'm not an aggressive person, but when it comes to thrifting-I put on my game face. On our last trip to the cities to visit my Dad and our besties new babe, we of course, had to make a stop. Some good finds! One of them happened to be a beautiful antique child shirt/tunic. It was in incredible condition and had enormous potential. It was a crisp white, with that touch of creme brulee to it, it had been worn by children many times, and those children have since grown old. The edges had a light blue to it, and the lines of the shirt were beautiful. A great find.

Mentioned in a previous post, I had discussed finding amazing pieces at an estate sale. Well, one of these finds was a gorgeous piece of fabric, it was a light linen/silk fabric, with an esquisite floral design. I simply married these two pieces together, and quite a bit of arm-hole stretching and back v-necking to get rid of the ridiciously tiny armholes and neck hole. It was well worth the struggle to CPR this piece back to life, and to make it reasonable for an adult to wear. This has come to be a huge favorite of mine, and I wanted to share the history with you, (and a little of my history). Also, I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. I can already hear my Grandmother scream, "Its see-through, but great florals."

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment